Movers & Storage

Movers & Storage

The regulation of public movers and warehousemen is part of the Regulated Business Section of the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs. This section ensures that all warehousemen and movers provide safe, proper and adequate services, while observing the rules and regulations concerning the storage and transportation of your household goods.

Moving family belongings is a time-consuming and important task. Before choosing your mover, check with the Regulated Business Section at 973-504-6442 or 6512 to learn if the mover you have selected is licensed and if they have had complaints lodged against them.

Once you have verified that the mover or warehouseman is licensed, the moving company must do the following:

Schedule an on-site survey of the goods you are planning to move.

Provide a copy of the required written estimate.

Provide a copy of the brochure entitled

“Important Notice to Consumers Using Public Movers.” 


The cost can be estimated based on an hourly rate, the weight of your shipment and the miles traveled, or by cubic measurement.  Never pack jewelry, money, or valuable papers with your goods to be moved. The mover is not responsible for items of extraordinary value.

 ■ Movers can pack for you, but there is a charge for this service.

■ Confirm the method of payment during the on-site survey.

■ Be sure to check your goods as they are being delivered. If loss or damage is discovered, notify the mover immediately. A damage claim can be filed up to 90 days after the move date.

■ Unless you purchase additional coverage, the mover is required to compensate you only up to 60 cents per pound, per article, for the damages.

The State of New Jersey does not have jurisdiction over interstate (outside of New Jersey) moves. Therefore, you should contact the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration for more information or to file a com- plaint regarding an interstate move. You can call 1-888-368-7238 or file a complaint online at If you are not sure who has jurisdiction, you may call 973-504-6442 or 6512.

If you wish to send goods internationally, be sure to call the consulate of the country to which you are sending the goods to find out about that country’s customs procedures.

You can obtain the number of the consulate of the country to which you are sending the goods by calling immigration at 888-407-4747. For information regarding shipment via sea, check For information regarding shipment via air, check .

If you have any problems or questions, please call the Regulated Business Section at 973-504-6442 to file a complaint. Call 973-504-6512 for licensing information.

For additional information, please visit the Regulated Business website at


NJ Public Movers and Warehousemen Licensing Act

Public Movers & Warehousemen Regulations - Chapter 44D